Saturday, July 14, 2012

Neighbor Confronts Suspicious Male

Report from Scott


Tonight around 8pm my wife and two of my children were on the front lawn waiting for me to come out and do some painting on the house. We live on the 800 block of South Anderson. A black male, early twenties wearing  a black jacket with white sleeves and a baseball cap with white, black and red on it, was passing by (in the street, not sidewalk) walking towards 8th from the corner of 9th slowly looking at the houses around my family as well as our house. He stared at my wife and continued to walk, stopping by my neighbors truck, texting on phone, then turned around and walked toward our van stopping by the drivers window and texting again. He then turned the corner of 9th and my wife called for me. After describing him and what he was doing I decided to go in our back yard to see if he was coming down the alley. Our alley neighbors who live on South Pine were out and saw me looking out our back yard. The man came down the alley as we went about our business pretending not to be staring him down. He kept looking back to see if we were watching, which we were. He stopped behind the house two doors down from me and was texting, looking into the back yard. When he noticed I was giving him a steady look we locked eyes. I told him not to be surprised if everyone is watching him, that we are a tight knit neighborhood and always watch out for people we don't know. He told me he was waiting for his friend at that house. I said "oh, ok. you are friends with them?" and he said he was. I went back to my front yard and told my wife. Then I decided to go back to the alley to chat with my Pine St. neighbors about this. They were already looking down the alley at him as he was walking further toward 8th. I then went out front again and told my wife I was going to knock on the door of the home he said he was waiting for a friend to come from. They didn't know him and were not waiting for anyone. So now I knew he was lying to me. 

We are all aware of strangers when they come through. This one was obviously casing our homes. I don't thing he'll come back but we are ready if he does. Keep in mind that burglars know during this hot weather that we leave windows and doors open to cool off and they may be bold enough to slip in while you are in your yard or stepping out for a bit. Never be afraid to question someone you know doesn't live on your street or behind you if they are lurking around your home. They will either lie or get defensive if they are up to no good. If they are legit, then they most likely will be somewhat cordial and tell you who they are visiting.




Great job keeping a watchful eye out and being aware of what visitors are doing in your neighborhood Scott.  I like that you know your neighbors and were not hesitant to check with them to confirm his story.  There continues to be numerous car prowls each week from 6th Ave to S. 8th, largely in part to the business district.  Remember to call 911 or the non emergency dispatch  number 253 978-4722 anytime you observe suspicious activity.  Great job!!!

3 comments:

  1. Good lookin' out. Reminds us how bold folks can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live on South 10th and Pine and caught this individual lurking around my house last night at 9:30pm. I happened to get up to shut the dining room windows and saw his standing near our gate, and appeared he was ready to come into my yard. He saw me and took off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He fits the description above as well.

      Delete